Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Country Breakfast at The Silo Restaurant

I couldn't stomach the thought of continental breakfast at the smelly Econolodge in Glens Falls, so we decided to hit the road right away. Pulling out of the driveway we saw a great looking breakfast place right next door. Hooray!

www.thesiloqueensbury.com

The Silo Restaurant of Queensbury (within Glens Falls) is a popular spot on Sunday mornings. Although we got a table for four right away, the families that came in just after us had to wait for tables. I don't know if they accept reservations, but it's worth a try: (518) 798-1900. The ambiance reminds me of Sugar & Spice in Mendon, Vermont, with a maple smell in the air and country-quaint gifts for sale.

Service was fast and the food was very good. The kids' menu featured "twin mini pancakes" which I thought were large, each about 5 inches across. I ordered one plate for each child, but they should have just shared. Each plate came with two pancakes and two sausage links, and I also ordered mixed fruit for each. They gobbled up most of their food, but each left a whole pancake uneaten. The waitress then offered them a choice of goldfish crackers or Oreo cookies to take home.

I savored my banana walnut pancakes and was glad I ordered the short stack, as each of the two pancakes were the diameter of my plate and about a half inch thick! And I ate all of it! I figured it would get me through lunch at Great Escape. Paul said his French toast was delicious.

The restaurant is within a country store stocked with quaint and cutesy items, from fresh fudge to wind chimes to jewelry to toys. There are multiple rooms within the wooden building, with varying themes. One room is is dedicated to toys, like Melissa & Doug puzzles, stuffed animals and old-time play things, the likes of which you would find at Vermont Country Store. They also carry adorable kids' rain boots and gardening tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment